SEO Guide for Pinterest
Ashley Bryan |
April 27th 2017
Did you know that about 70% of people who are on Pinterest use it as a way to find the inspiration on things that they wish to purchase, compared to 17% of Facebook users. Pinterest SEO is quickly becoming something that every business owner needs to look at in more depth.
Here are some important tips to help you accomplish your SEO goals:
1. Make sure that you create a business account. If your purpose for having a Pinterest account is for the promotion of your business, then you will need to open a business account. This is something that was recently introduced and although most of the features are the same as a personal account, there are some differences, including access to more advanced analytics.
2. Ensure that your Pinboards are Visible in the Search Engines. You will see settings under “Search Privacy” and you should select “no” where it asks you if you want to hide your profile from the search engines.
3. Use Keywords in your “About” Section. You get a 200 character limit in your about section, but you can use this as an opportunity to include your keywords. Make this section clear, to the point and include your top keywords. Be sure to include your website and location which will help with those who are doing a local search.
4. Optimize your Business Page Name. You want to make certain that your business can be searched for and easily found on Pinterest. You should include the full name of your business when you set up your account. Use your business name in your Pinterest URL if it has not been taken yet by someone else. The optimal length for a username is 3 – 15 characters.
5. Make sure that your most visited boards stay above the fold. Your best web content is that which receives the most visits should always remain above the fold. The top two rows of your content are what are seen the most. Pins are easy to move by clicking on them and moving them.
6. Use your keywords to name and describe your boards. New boards should be based on keywords which can help to increase your placement in the search engine results. Try not to use common “suggested” titles for your boards, choose your own titles by being more specific and detailed for each board. You also have the opportunity to add short descriptions about each board. You can also get ideas and search terms from Google Adwords Keyword Tool.
7. Use Your Keywords in Pin Descriptions. You need to describe your images well and you are allowed 500 characters to do so. Pins that have about 200 – 300 characters tend to get re-pinned the most. Always try to be deliberate and concise with your keywords when you write your descriptions, making them relevant to your consumers.
8. Make sure you use Hashtags. Hashtags are one of the main factors to pins being found on Pinterest. Part of Pinterest SEO means that you need to make certain that your pins are more searchable. You can get pretty specific by using terms that will help your posts to be found quickly and easily.
9. Add links back to your site. Your pins should link back to your website. Do not use URL shorteners, Pinterest does not seem to like those. Instead, add your full URL in your link set up.
10. Add a Pin-It Button on Your Website Pages. This is a feature that is essential to have your content shared on Pinterest. The Pin-it Button is easy to set up and allows you to build a code and then pasting the code to your landing pages.
11. Include the Prices in your Pins. Pins that have prices included tend to get more likes than those with no price. You can include the price in the description or you can add it to the image with photoshop. Rich Pins are a new feature on Pinterest, but you need to apply for this feature only after your website has met certain requirements. This feature automatically crawls your website for prices and availability.
12. Use the Analytics Provided by Pinterest. Pinterest has its own analytics which provides you with all the information that you need to find out which of your pins are getting repinned the most and receiving the most clicks and impressions. This can help you to change up your strategies to improve your reach and your Pinterest SEO.